The ATO has issued the following reminders to employers, that backpackers on working holidays:
- are considered temporary residents, and are entitled to superannuation guarantee if they are paid $450 or more before tax in a calendar month; and
- who leave Australia can claim the super paid to them as a Departing Australia superannuation payment (‘DASP’), providing all requirements are met.
Anyone employing backpackers should:
- check they hold a valid visa using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (‘VEVO’) service;
- use the ATO’s Super guarantee eligibility decision tool to determine if they are eligible for super;
- offer them a choice of super fund if requested, and follow the same steps as for any other worker before they start working for the employer; and
- advise them that they can start their DASP application using the ATO’s free online application system while they are in Australia.
Make sure to connect with us on social media.